Friday, November 12, 2010

My ABCs of Inspiration: K is for Knuffle Bunny

If you read my weekend recommendation this past weekend, you would have discovered how painful behind the times I am on my picture book knowledge.  I just discovered the joy that is "Knuffle Bunny" last week!  I quickly realized how my limited picture book knowledge was when I decided to try to write picture books.  I had extensive knowledge of my boys' bookshelves, but that was it.  Unless the boys got a picture book as a gift or it was on the Scholastic order form that came home from school, chances are I hadn't read it.

So I decided to do something about it.

I got to readin'!  I started compiling lists of the books I heard mentioned a lot.  I jotted down notes when someone referenced a book.  I starting turning our 15 minute library dashes into hour long visits.  I started checking out 15-20 books instead of 3-5 books.  I started hanging out at a bookstore and browsing.  I focus on recent releases, but I try to seek out the classics as well.

And I must say that inspiration flows from the work that is already out there.  Isn't that what inspired most of us to start trying to write a picture book in the first place?  Rediscover that inspiration.  Pick up a picture book...or 40.

Blog Note:  I should be getting the last piece of the prize pack for my contest sometime today...so check back later to enter!

5 comments:

  1. You know, I am right there with you Megan! I know my son's bookshelves, and that's it. This past week I actually made a conscious decision to spend hours in the library! :D I was sad to learn that they were not open yesterday. But I am sure I will be visiting this Saturday to do just what you said! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good reminder, Megan. It's always good to spend some time in the library just looking. Off hours (when kids are in school) all by oneself are great too. Who says the Children's Room is just for kids?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of doing my research in a library with no other distractions. Brilliant. I shall do it, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! Great minds... I just came home from the library with 15 picture books.

    ReplyDelete