Friday, September 10, 2010

Chasing a Dream

Really?  This is what I've chosen to do in those precious few moments I'm not cleaning up spilled juice, heading off Bickel-War IV, or trying to figure out how the cat managed to puke on just the top stair to the basement?

Yep.

I dream big.   I'm still semi-sure I'm going to win the lottery someday.  I practice my Oscar acceptance speech each year.  And I'm certain I'll be plucked from the crowd at an IndyCar race to drive for Team Penske.  But, the fact of the matter is, I can't control any of those dreams at the moment.  This dream of seeing my picture book on the shelf or seeing my article in a magazine, I can.

I'm actually a little surprised at my own resolve on this one.  But when I started to just tinker around with writing, I felt like my brain suddenly woke up.  I literally had trouble sleeping the first two weeks because my brain wouldn't turn off.  I feel like I have a whole new sense of self.  Like I just stumbled upon what I've been missing all along.  I don't mean to overstate it, but I have a whole music-break-in-the-movies sequence thing in my head of "Megan - The Writer" with KT Tunstall's "Suddenly I See" playing loudly.

I honestly didn't want to tell many folks I was doing this until I was relatively sure I was going to stick with it.  But the feeling I have just from TRYING to write is so great, I can't see giving it up, even if I never get published.  I'm enjoying the process too much.  And in the end, I'll either have published works to share with the world, or a nice little treasury of stories just to share with my kids.  Sounds like a win-win dream to me!

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the wild ride that is the picture book industry :) You're definitely on the right track. Can't wait to share your journey with you...

    ReplyDelete