Saturday, January 29, 2011

Weekend Recommendation

I'm going to recommend a classic today.  Usually, as picture book writers, we are told to go see what is current and selling now.  Get a feel for today's market.  This is excellent advice, but it is important to educate yourself on the "classics" as well.  I am woefully uneducated when it comes to picture book classics.  I don't know why.  I've been an avid picture book reader my whole life.  But for some reason, I've just never picked up many "classics."

So, this week I went to the Caldecott section of our children's room at the library.  The very first one I picked up was such a beautiful story, I have to recommend it.  It is The Little House, written and illustrated by Virginia Lee Burton, copyright 1942.  This book is one of those timeless classics.  I have been a long time fan of her book Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel, but I had never even seen this one.  Pick it up!

4 comments:

  1. Yes, have many such books from the 40's, such treasure, aren't they.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...it can difficult rooting out those ageless classics, but when stumbled upon, I agree, they're well worth time vested. Much to learn from the work of our elders:)

    EL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went back and read a 'classic" after my daughter was born. "Millions of Cats" I LOVED it as a kid, but as a parent, i was a bit horrified! The cats all fight to the death until only one is left. YIKES!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Corey - I feel that way about the original "Curious George" - there are some yikes moments in there! "After a good meal and a good pipe"?!

    ReplyDelete