Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Holiday Hangover

The decorations are down...or in various states of destruction around your house.  The presents have been opened...and are in various states of destruction around your house.  The relatives have been visited, the Christmas lights appreciated, the carols sung (off-key), the traditions dutifully observed.

And now it is back to "regular" life.  Life as we live it most of the time.  BORING!

Do you have a holiday hangover, like me?  It is so hard to be enthusiastic about getting back to school and work routines with the long cold months of winter still creeping into my bones.  I don't wanna!  I don't wanna! *drops into an ape-like slump and lower lip extends in a fierce pout*

But this is supposed to be a post of inspiration!  Where's the inspiration?

For me, I'm going try to find the beauty and fun in the everyday.  Sure, holidays are super-fantastically-fun.  But the everyday of my life can be just as awe-inspiring, emotion-evoking and good-times-creating.  It is certainly not always easy to remember this, but it is true.  I dreamed my whole life of having exactly what I am blessed enough to have at this moment in my life.  So, I resolve to celebrate that reality in some small way everyday.  Whether it is taking 5 seconds at dinner time to smile at my little family gathered around or marveling at my husband or laughing with my kids over (yet another) fart joke or enjoying the softness of my cats fur or absorbing the silence of my house at 3 a.m. or patting myself on the back for the 17th revision of a picture book manuscript.  I'm going to celebrate the small things to get you through the holiday let-down.  Join me, won't you?

8 comments:

  1. I'm with you, Megan!
    On another subject (as I am embarrassingly technologically challenged!) how did you add the "join me" and list of books for the 100 book challenge to the upper left side of your blog page?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susanna - In the blogger Design area if you "add a gadget" one of the options is "List". I just used that! : ) Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Megan
    It's overcast and rainy here and my mood has begun to match it! I've had a frustrating computer glitching day today and it looks as though the offending machine (not this one)needs to go in for repair. Aaargh! I have an order to complete and cannot do it without *that* machine. Much teeth gnashing ensues! Hope you are having a frustration free day. Bless you for your lovely comment over at mine :O)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The winter blahs have already visited our house. This post is the perfect reminder I needed today. Thank you. Today I am thankful for the hour of writing I squeezed in this morning. It was the most perfect blissful peaceful hour (and the only one I'll get today).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup. That's me too. Maybe when I'm not feeling so tired and cranky I'll try very hard to join you. My entire family is just crabby today! You have the right attitude and tomorrow...I will too. :0) Christy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Madeleine-I feel your computer pain! I went through the same stuff about a month and a half ago. So frustrating!! I hope it works out for you! And if you other reader's haven't visited Madeleine at her blog, go! She's lovely!

    Kari & Christy- I think family therapy is often called for when winter crankiness infects a house. My favorite family therapy is Phineas and Ferb on TV and some popcorn. : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've noticed that when I exercise, I do have more energy. But after a full day of work at the office, who has the energy, or the time? I just seem to stay tired all the time. Wah, wah, wah...

    On a different note, I noticed the 100-book reading challenge. I was checking out some of your books already, and noticed that the 3rd one down, "The Sandwich Shop" should really be "The Sandwich Swap." I want to read that one, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good catch, Christie! I fixed it. : ) Very good book, by the way!

    ReplyDelete