Sunday, September 26, 2010

Weekend Recommendation #3

Howdy folks!  I've been on a blog-induced high this weekend seeing all the visitors to my blog from "The Great Blogging Experiment"!  I hope some folks check back in occasionally.  Or think of my blog fondly at random intervals..."Gee, that Megan Bickel had a nice blog.  Now where did I put my soup spoon?  Is the square root of pi really a useful number?"  That sort of thing.

Any-whoozle.  On to my weekend recommendation.  Remember, I'm no book reviewer.  I just like to pass on a title each weekend that I've enjoyed.  And then when you are at the library or bookstore you can think, "What should I get?  What did that lovely Megan Bickel recommend?  Where did I put my soup spoon?"

This week, I'm going to sing the praises of another book written and illustrated by the same person and, while this is a picture book, I'm going to recommend it for adults and older kids (my eight year old found it spectacular but my little ones didn't get it and lost interest).  It is Mimi's Dada Catifesto by Shelley Jackson.

I will admit that it took me a little bit to get into this book because it actually does deal with dadaism and I wasn't fully prepared for such a topic when I picked up a picture book.  But it is worth the effort!  Humorous, informative, crazy and dadaist to the max.  Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. I bet my daughter would love that, and I had never heard of it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need some children's magazine recommendations. The Girl Scouts are selling magazines and there are 50 magazines for children! Hearing you describe the excitement of getting a new magazine in the mail makes me realize how much I miss the books that used to come. Anything to make the kids more excited about reading! Looking at the list, there are so many options. Since you mentioned trying to write for magazines, I thought you might know some good ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you're sweet! Thank you for your cute blog. I love how you love your kidlets. I really love mine too...

    Now where did I put my soup spoon???

    ;)
    Come and visit me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary - I'm a big fan of Spider, Ladybug, Highlights (of course), Turtle is a cute one, and Fun for Kidz is good too. I could go on and on, but those are good starts!

    Elizabeth - Thanks! I'll definitely come on over and check out your blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A random (ok, not so) aside. My daughter loves "A kiss goodnight" I think its because of the voices I do. Its a simple book but she loves the dialogue of Sam.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Check the silverware drawer for the soup spoon, you silly.

    ReplyDelete